Sunday, May 26, 2013

Eating the Alphabet - "C" Week

"C is for Cookie.  That's good enough for me." -- Cookie Monster

Wow!  Were the kids ever excited about "C" week.  Who would have guessed.  Until they listed all the c foods they could:  cookies, candy, chips, chocolate chips, cocoa, cream (as in whipped), corn dogs, cheese.......They went on forever!  And sure, I threw some of those in there as well.  Corn dogs are a nice easy dinner on those nights we have to run out for sports.

Cantaloupe - This is not a new food for us, but one I know everyone will eat if they have to.  W actually requested it in his lunch box (since the cherries made his lips itch).  We cut into one and it was so ripe and juicy that the juice spilled all over the counter and down the cabinets.  (I have never had that happen to me before.)  This was the sweetest most delicious cantaloupe I have ever eaten.
Carrots -  Made a fun salad for the boys with carrots, cucumbers and dried cranberries. 



Cauliflower - I've seen this for weeks in the store and now I had a reason to buy it.  As far as I have known my entire life, cauliflower has always been white.  I had now idea it came in a myriad of colors.  Sauteed with some olive oil and garlic, it was delicious.  (And pretty.)  They boys tried but didn't like. 



Cherries - Yum!  We've tried cherries before and W has tried and eaten them.  Now, however, both B and W eat them and B even asked for them in his lunch box.  (Unfortunately W seemed to have an allergic reaction to them.  He is staying away from them for a while.)  And again, these were highly endorsed by the guinea pig.  He's not that into fruits, so even he surprised me.


Coconut Water - This got a big thumbs down by everyone.  I mean, water shouldn't be sweet.  I don't know what I was expecting.  Plain water that was maybe fortified by coconuts somehow.  We won't be spending money on this one anymore.



Cous cous - Here was a big surprise.  Neither of the boys liked the cous cous.  They both eat rice so I thought they would enjoy this.  I even sprinkled it with some parmesan cheese to give it a little added flavor.  No go.  My friends said next time I should try the pasta-like pearl cous cous.


Cranberries (we ate Craisins) - A huge hit.  They LOVE them on salad.


Cucumber -W is into these mini cucumbers that we found at the store.  So he gets those in his lunchbox.

And for fun, as a family, we hit up one of our favorite fast-food restaurants as well.  Chick-fil-A.  Gotta keep that theme going.

And I even had my own special C week treat.  A chocolate chip frappe from McDonalds.

No comments:

Post a Comment